[B-Greek] Question: comment by Kline

Eric Inman eric.inman at wescorpflex.com
Tue Oct 30 10:26:49 EDT 2007

I think the approach that Carl mentions can be very useful.

For myself, after much experimentation and frustration over many years, I've
ended up concluding that it's better not to spend too large a percentage of
time with a dictionary. A dictionary is a fast way to learn the meanings of
a few dozens and perhaps hundreds of words, but a slow way to learn the
meanings of thousands of words. For me it seems to work better to spend most
of my time reading, either with a parallel text or without, or listening. I
don't necessarily try to understand every word at first, but eventually more
and more words become clearer. I use the dictionary for a small percentage
of words that seem especially critical or unclear. It seems that our minds
relate to words based on how we remember them being used. For me this seems
to be a more natural and effective way to learn a large vocabulary.

Others on this list have discouraged the use of parallel texts, saying it's
better to go to the dictionary instead. It's definitely true that the
dictionary will provide a much more complete and accurate picture of what
the word means. On the other hand, a parallel text usually offers in a
fraction of a second enough information to be helpful without disturbing the
flow of reading. The deep understanding of a word eventually comes, not from
the parallel text, but from the high volume (many books worth) of reading in
the original language. There has also been concern about a parallel text
being a crutch, but I find myself naturally referring to it less and less
often as I proceed.

Perhaps most important of all, this has made language learning for me a lot
more fun and much less of a chore.

Eric Inman