[B-Greek] 2nd year NTG on my own / followup

Eric Inman eric.inman at wescorpflex.com
Sun Oct 28 07:59:21 EDT 2007

In the context of language learning in general, learning all of the words in
the GNT is not unreasonable. Some time ago I wrote a program to scan
Indonesian news articles and identify words that I did not have in my
flashcard program. (I filtered out proper nouns, acronyms, foreign words,
etc.) I would then learn the words and move on to the next article. I was
expecting the number of new words per article to taper off after I had a few
thousand words, but there didn't seem to be any slowing down at all even
after passing 5000! The experience made me feel that the size of a
reasonable vocabulary probably exceeded 10,000 words and that I'd be better
off relying more on reading and listening than on brute force memorization.

To say this another way, our minds seem to have a capacity for very large
vocabularies, and fluent speakers and writers use that capacity. It's
important, however, to find an effective approach to acquiring a vocabulary
of that size. In my limited experience, that would involve a lot of time
spent in the natural use of the language (reading, listening, writing,
speaking), supplemented to a lesser degree (after the basics are learned) by
formal study and memorization.

Eric Inman