[B-Greek] 2nd year NTG on my own / followup

James Bowick james at bowick.com
Sat Oct 27 23:11:52 EDT 2007

Speaking not as a scholar but as a fellow student, it seems to me that the
amount of vocab you want to learn can be determined by how many words you
are prepared to look up as you read on avera.  But there is a diminishing
return in terms of reading speed.  I used Ken Penner's Flash!Pro data to run
some numbers and find the point of diminishing returns.  (Ken's program is
designed for memory, not for statistical study, so he knows better than I
how suitable his data is for that, but it at very least should give a
pragmatic guide.)  So here, very roughly rounded off, are the results:

Words Learned     Word Frequency     % of total words in text
500                               27 times or more              85%
1000                             11 times or more              91%
1500                             6 times or more                94%

In other words, the first 500 words covers words that occur 27 times or
more.  When you have learned them you will still be looking up 3 words in
20, or 1 1/2 in 10.   The next 500 words brings you to looking up less than
1 word in 10.  But the next 500 gains you only a minor increase in
frequency.  To get to the point of looking up 1 word in 20 you need to learn
well over 1500 words.  I would suggest, based on this, that the returns of
vocabulary memory drop off at around 1 in 10 to the point where you are
better to learn by reading than flash cards or such.

James Bowick
McMaster Divinity College
Hamilton, Ont.