[B-Greek] 2nd year NTG on my own

Eric S. Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 27 22:27:27 EDT 2007

> My goal is to learn to read & use NTG for exegesis.
> I do have a lot of time to do this and want learn.
> Any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated. If possible be specific  with
> direction for me.
> Thanks for the advice, in advance!
>
> Jim Montesano
> NJ

I took 2 years of NT Greek, using Mounce for 1st year. I
then did a lot of self-study and have several times taught
1st-year to 1st-and-a-half-year Greek (e.g., after
completing 1st-year NT Greek with Story & Story's GREEK TO
ME, I took the students through David Alan Black's IT'S
STILL GREEK TO ME and we did a verse-by-verse translation
and study of I Thessalonians), and am currently teaching
a small group via N. Clayton Croy's A PRIMER OF BIBLICAL
GREEK.

My advice would be to listen to what Dr. Carl Conrad has
mentioned many times (ad nauseam?) on this forum - LEARN
ATTIC GREEK. I am only now doing so (slowly and on my own,
unfortunately, due to circumstances), and one reason is
that I realized that even though I have been reading the
NT in Greek for years, and have been teaching it to small
church classes for almost the same number of years ... I
DON'T KNOW GREEK. Even the little bits of Attic I have
learned so far (and at earlier times when I tried doing it)
has exposed me to things that none of my NT grammars
mentioned. (And I don't mean things peculiar to Attic
Greek; I mean things about words and grammar that for
whatever reason the NT grammar books I used chose to omit
or overly simplify.)

FWIW, for Attic I'm using Mastronarde, and Dr. Conrad has
recommended the JACT series, and he or others have said
that a person who has had NT Greek can probably work
quickly through Hansen and Quinn to get a grasp of Attic.

This is not a good analogy but: We don't usually teach
people to read English by having them read only the Bible
and only the words that are in the English Bible. We teach
people English and then we take people who know English
and give them a Bible in English to read because, knowing
English, they can then read and understand the Bible.
Likewise, the precursor to reading the Greek NT should be,
IMO, being able to read Greek - and that, I think, means a
lot more than being able to read only NT Greek.

God bless you in your studies!

  Eric S. Weiss