[B-Greek] Syntax of Lists in Biblical Greek

Tony Monaghan tonym62 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 13:30:57 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Let me introduce myself:  My name is Tony Monaghan, and I am an OPC
(Orthodox Presbyterian Church) minister in Charlottesville Virginia.  As
a note, I used the bwgrkl font I have in my ancient version of Bible
Works for the embedded Greek.

My question is about lists and the subordination of clauses in Koine
Greek generally, and more closely the NT.

Examples of passages might be a classic one - Ephesians 4:11, 12

kai. auvto.j e;dwken tou.j me.n avposto,louj( tou.j de. profh,taj( tou.j
de. euvaggelista,j( tou.j de. poime,naj kai. didaska,louj(
pro.j to.n katartismo.n tw/n a`gi,wn eivj e;rgon diakoni,aj( eivj
oivkodomh.n tou/ sw,matoj tou/ Cristou/(

There Paul uses MENand DEas list markers and then switches to PROS and
EIS.  Seemingly (at least to my rather limited knowledge) this switch is
related to the contrast between nouns (offices) and verbs (actions),
although all the actions are treated as nouns rather than as verbs.

Another is Philippians 3: 8 ff.

There Paul introduces a seeming list of purpose clauses with INA plus
the subjunctive in verse 8 (i[na Cristo.n kerdh,sw),
continues with a subjunctive - lacking INA in verse 9 - kai. eu`reqw/
evn auvtw/
switches to an infinitive in verse 10 (gnw/nai auvto.n kai. th.n
du,namin th/j avnasta,sewj auvtou/)
and then returns to a subjunctive in verse 11 (ei; pwj katanth,sw eivj)
again, without INA.

My surmise is that the infinitive in verse 10 is used to tie that
purpose clause to the major clause of verse 9, rather than the list
begun in verse 8, but I was interested in the opinion of the list.

I have a number of questions.

1)  Does anyone remember if there a discussion of these subjects in the
archive?  It is a rather daunting task to sift through the entire
archive for something which might well not be there.  It is also tedious
for the list to revisit something well examined previously.

2) Does anyone know of a study which documents and examines different
list mechanisms in Koine Greek?  I suppose a study of Attic forms would
be useful, if not as useful.

3) Has anyone considered either passage and gathered a solid opinion?  I
am aware of Dr. Johnson's (of Westminster California) study on the
Ephesians passage.

Many thanks,
Tony Monaghan