[B-Greek] ERCOMAI and ERCOU in Rev 22:20

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Oct 26 07:01:49 EDT 2007

I've changed the subject-header to what seems more appropriate.

On Oct 26, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> In Rev 22:20, it reads
>
> LEGEI hO MARTURWN TAUTA NAI ERCOMAI TACU AMHN ERCOU
> KURIE IHSOU
>
> Can someone help me understand the differences between
> ERCOMAI and ERCOU in this passage? ERCOMAI seems to be
> spoken BY the Lord whereas ERCOU is spoken TO the Lord.

Yes. Frankly, I don't see how it could be understood differently.
"NAI ERCOMAI TACU" is the content of TAUTA, which is the object of
LEGEI. "AMHN ERCOU, KURIE IHSOU" is addressed by the writer. I think
that most versions punctuate this text clearly enough to make that
distinction perfectly clear.

e.g. NET:
Rev. 22:20   The one who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am
coming soon!” Amen! Come, Lord Jesus!