[B-Greek] B-Greek BAPTIZW/BAPTIZOMAI (part 3)

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:26:12 EDT 2007

karlos egrapse

 I have  difficulty understanding the argument that the verb in
Acts 22:16  (ἀναστὰς βάπτισαι καὶ ἀπόλουσαι
τὰς ἁμαρτίας σου [ANASTAS BAPTISAI KAI APOLOUSAI TAS
hAMARTIAS SOU]) is semantically passive (it's said that it can't mean
"baptize yourself" -- and I agree --, and can't mean "have yourself
baptized,"  but must mean "be baptized." >

I would like to agree and/or clarify, reformulating this in a positive
mode for simplicity:

BAPTISAI Act 22:16 is surely middle, it is morphologically
and semantically middle within the Greek system.
'Dip yourself, get baptized.'
[With the implication 'as a follower of the
messianic path.']

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org