[B-Greek] Orthography of consonantal iota

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 25 06:06:41 EDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Kevin Riley wrote:

> Sydney Allen in his book Vox Graeca also has a somewhat fuller
> answer that
> those who like details may enjoy.  The consonantal /j/ was
> represented in
> Mycenaean Greek, and in virtually all the places it was surmised to
> have
> existed before the translation of Linear B texts.  It has always
> puzzled me
> why the Greeks did not represent /j/ consistently by I, and the only
> explanation that makes sense is that it had been lost at the
> beginning of
> words before the adoption of the alphabet, and elsewhere its
> existence was
> obvious and did not need to be represented.

Kevin, I'm wondering just WHERE in the extant ancient Greek texts the
existence of consonantal iota "may have been obvious and did not need
to be represented." It is my understanding that consonantal iota did
indeed evanesce sometime before the emergence of alphabetic writing
in the Phoenician-derived characters. The consonantal iota is
certainly a key element in linguistic reconstructions of the pre-
history of the language: I suppose most students of Greek are
familiar with the importance of consonantal iota in the formation of
a great number of omega-type verbs (e.g. BAINW < BAN-yW, where it's
assumed that the "y" vocalized and then metathesized so that BAN-yW
became BAINW); the -yW (or perhaps more accurately -yO/E- infix) is
said to have played an underlying role in the formation of the
numerous -TT- or -SS- verbs (Attic -TT-, Ionic and Koine -SS-, as
FULATTW/FULASSW) built upon guttural stems (FULAK-yW --> FULASS-W and
of -PTW verbs (e.g. BLAPTW, NIPTW from BLAB-yW, NIF-yW) built upon
labial stems.

One very important verb appears to be based upon an iota-consonant
root, although I don't know if this is a matter of universal
consensus: hIHMI, more commonly seen in compound verbs (AFIHMI, later
AFIW) than in the simplex, appears to have been in proto-Greek yIyH-
MI (perhaps cognate with Latin IACIO/IECI). According to theoretical
reconstruction, the root was -yH-; the root was reduplicated to
produce the present stem yIyH-; then at some point in the era between
Mycenean (Linear B) and alphabetic representation the intervocalic -
y- between I and H evanesced, while the initial y preceding the I
shifted over to an aspirate that is represented in historical Greek
as a rough breathing: hI from yI (that's the same thing that happened
to initial S -- as in hISTHMI from an original present stem that was
presumably SI-STH-, the initial S shifting into an aspirate while the
medial S evanesced.