[B-Greek] BAPTIZW/BAPTIZOMAI (part 1)

Kimmo Huovila kimmo.huovila at helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 23 15:12:17 EDT 2007

I think this is a good illustration of semantic overlap with voice. For some
concepts active, middle, and passive semantics overlap. PERIPATEW happens to
be active, even though a middle would do as well (body movement middle).
POREUOMAI happens to be passive, but HODEUW is active. POREUEIN is what the
donkey (horse, camel, car, whatever) does to the POREUOMENOS. Even if there
were no active POREUW, the passive could still be considered a true passive.
The meaning can be construed differently from a different perspective. We
cannot always predict why one is active and the other passive or middle, but
once we know the voice, we can see how it is motivated. Or that is at least
our goal.

I wonder if the whole question of BAPTIZOMAI could be similarly understood:
the meaning can be approached from both passive or middle semantics.

Kimmo