[B-Greek] was ... VOICE. nice example of "middle" BAPTISQENTES

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:33:03 EDT 2007

I agree with Iver's linguistic world-view and the need to bring syntax,
semantics, and pragmatics
together in a linguistically adequate description. However, on data, one
needs more than the slice
of Greek in the NT, and Iver would agree on this, too. However, there is
more data for Iver's
discussion.

Iver egrapse
>So, I am afraid I disagree with Carl and Kimmo here. EBAPTISANTO does not
occur in the NT among the
77 examples of this verb and the sense suggested by Carl for this form is
non-existent, unless you
think of Jewish cleansing ceremonies. Only in the imperative do we have a
rare example of
contrastive forms of middle and passive with no significant difference in
meaning (Acts 2:38 and
22:16). Of course, there are some morphologically ambiguous present and
imperfective forms, but the
general usage of this verb, the fact that the verb is basically active and
the meaning of baptism as
used in the NT indicate a passive sense for all MP forms, mainly because one
does not baptize
oneself. I would expect it to be voluntary, since that is the NT practice,
but that goes beyond the
realm of syntax and semantics, and moves into pragmatics, hermeneutics and
theology.>

In the NT itself we have 1 Cor 10:2 EBAPTISANTO in B, p46, K, L, P, 1, 69,
et al.

Maybe of more interest is a fragment of an unknown gospel I was reading a
couple of weeks ago.
It had a GENIKOS 'absolute' TWN MAQHTWN TOYS PODAS BAPTISQENTWN .
'they washed themselves the feet'.
This is a nice PAQHTIKOS morphology, with an accusative extension/object. It
was Oxyrhynchus 840.
Carl has got to love it. It is available on line, and published 100 years
ago.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/poxy840-greek.html
l.15-16  TWN MAQHTWN SOY TOYS P[odas ba]PTISQENTWN

blessings
Randall Buth
--
Randall Buth, PhD