[B-Greek] two senses of BAPTIZW in Matthew 3:11

Ted & Robin Shoemaker shoes6 at juno.com
Thu Oct 18 12:22:50 EDT 2007

Matthew 3:11
EGW MEN BAPTIZW hUMAS EN hUDATI EIS METANOIAN . . . .
AUTOS hUMAS BAPTISEI EN PNEUMATI hAGIW KAI PURI

In this passage, one instance of BAPTIZW evidently refers to a physical baptism, i.e. with water; the other to a nonphysical baptism, i.e. with the Holy Spirit and fire.  I'll assume that you agree with me so far; but if not, feel free to correct me.

When we find BAPTIZW elsewhere in the Bible, what linguistic clues do we have that will tell us which kind of baptism is meant?  (Some passges are clearer in this regard than others.  My son asked me which sense is intended in Acts 2:38.  I couldn't prove my answer to him.)

Is BAPTIZE used metaphorically, outside of the Bible?  What markers accompany such use, to distinguish it from the physical sense?

Thank you,

Ted Shoemaker
Madison, Wisconsin, United States

Procrastinate -- tomorrow.