[B-Greek] A new stab at voice

Don Dwight dddwight1234 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 17 23:17:51 EDT 2007

Thank you for answering my questions.

On 10/17/2007 12:24 PM Kimmo Huovila wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007, Don Dwight wrote:
>
>> Request elaboration on the rule in part 3)
>>
>> On 10/15/2007 9:39PM Kimmo Huovila wrote:
>>
>> e. Do agent, author, instrument, and patient correspond to agent cause,
>> material cause, end cause, and formal cause?
>>

> I am not sure how you define these causes.

These are the four Aristotelian causes of being or change. I would
define them as:
Agent cause is that by which a being is changed.
Material cause is that from which a being is changed.
End cause is that for which a being is changed.
Formal cause is that into which a being is changed.

>> i. Does the role of agent include the role of principal when the role of
>> instrument is one of agency?
>>

> I did not exacly understand this either. Did I already answer this?
>
> Kimmo

Yes.
I would define them as:
Agent is the one who acts for or in place of a principal.

Donald D. Dwight
Monterey, California