[B-Greek] A new stab at voice

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 17 17:20:53 EDT 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 12:24 PM, Kimmo Huovila wrote:

> The hierarchy is agent>author>instrument>patient. The rule is that
> the subject
> of an active verb is not lower in the hierarchy than other roles in
> the verb
> frame.
>
>> b. What is the rationale for this hierarchy?
>
> I used William Frawley's Linguistc Semantics (1992), pp. 240-242.
> He refers to
> Charles Fillmore's The case for case (1968) and adds 'author' to
> Fillmore's
> subject hierarchy. I have understood subject hierarchy to be fairly
> universal
> in languages that have a clear subject category. I cannot think of
> Greek
> counter-examples. Subject hierarchy is discussed in many linguistic
> sources,
> I just happened to use Frawley.

Kimmo,

I suspect that the implications of "The rule is ..."  are less than
perfectly clear to some list members. I just looked at B.J.Blake's
(Case, Cambridge 1994 page 91ff) discussion of C.Fillmore and S.Dik's
use of hierarchy and I still don't understand what point you are
attempting to make or what a Greek counter-example would look like.

Elizabeth Kline