[B-Greek] Semantics

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 14 14:32:20 EDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 9:31 AM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> In reference to SFL, I not sure that "register" and frame theory have
> much in common. SFL is a very different approach.

A retraction of sorts.

I just read, once again, J.Reed's [1] treatment of register (aka
context of situation) and I would say that his comments and citations
from Halliday seem to have a lot in common with my understanding of
frames. The metaphor is different, however, if you unpack the
metaphors (not always a good idea) a frame and a register have many
similarities. The approach I have adopted is both fluid and eclectic,
drawing on Fillmore, Halliday and who knows how many others.

On Oct 14, 2007, at 10:54 AM, cwestf5155 at aol.com wrote:
> Your point about producing influential textbooks is well-taken.
> We're working on it. Porter, Reed and O'Donnell are releasing their
> first year grammar. I'm working on an "idiot's guide" to discourse
> analysis with two students--hopefully that is accessible, though it
> won't wear its sources on its sleeve.

That is good news. I assume your "idiot's guide" to discourse
analysis will be targeted at a different audience than SIL-UND. I
would like to see see a sample chapter of Reed and O'Donnell,
something that would both illustrate and explain their method.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Kline

  [1] Reed, Jeffrey T “A discourse analysis of Philippians”Sheffield
Academic Press, 1997, pps. 53-54