[B-Greek] Semantics

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 14 12:31:04 EDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 7:20 AM, cwestf5155 at aol.com wrote:

> Students who are interested in pursuing this kind of research
> unfortunately have only a few other options in North America where
> supervisors can offer full encouragement and informed support
> (Carson and Fanning do, for instance).

Fanning was a co-editor with D.Bock of the book where Bock's
treatment of lexical semantics was presented. I am aware that there
are numerous linguists doing research in NT Greek. However, the
authors of the text books rule the world. A textbook published in
2006 which ignores the work done in semantics over the last half
century and makes vague allusions to a linguistic framework
established by a man who died in 1913 (Saussure) -- if this book is
aggressively marketed and becomes a standard work in the seminaries,
all the discussions in SBL groups and SIL/UBS workshops isn't going
to make a whole lot of difference to the rank and file students of NT
greek. The most widely used NT greek textbooks over the last decade
are linguistics free zones, unpolluted by any ideas about language
from the 20th century or later.

In reference to SFL, I not sure that "register" and frame theory have
much in common. SFL is a very different approach. I have read Porter,
Reed and several others but SFL is still somewhat mystifying. When I
here the word functional, I think of S.Dik, T.Givon and H.Dik. This
is one of the reasons the NT greek textbook authors feel free to
write off linguistics as a lost cause. There is a lot of theoretical
diversity in linguistics and the text book authors like to deal in
certainties, things that can be stated with unqualified authority.

thank you for posting,

Elizabeth Kline