[B-Greek] hOUS in Jude 22,23

Steven Lo Vullo slovullo at charter.net
Sun Oct 14 00:37:37 EDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 8:38 PM, Yamada Yuki wrote:

> I've been reading Jude and thinking about three relative pronouns,
> hOUS in verses 22 and 23.
> Since they are relative pronouns, I assume that the referent (in this
> case, Masculine Plural) should be found in the preceding text. If
> this is the case, the strongest candidate for the referent would be
> hOUTOI in verse 19. What made me think more about this is that my
> teacher suggested to take these relative pronouns as independent of
> the preceding text, I mean, here, another group of people are
> introduced by the use of hOUS. Is there such uses of relative pronoun
> elsewhere?

Hi Yamada:

22 KAI hOUS MEN ELEATE DIAKRINOMENOUS, 23 hOUS DE SWiZETE EK PUROS
hARPAZONTES, hOUS DE ELEATE EN FOBWi MISOUNTES KAI TON APO THS SARKOS
ESPILWMENON CITWNA.

hOS is used here as a demonstrative pronoun. The key is the presence
of MEN and DE. They are often used with various forms of hOS to mark
two or more contrasted items. So MEN hOUS ... DE hOUS ... DE hOUS are
in the passage at hand used to indicate some who are to be approached
in one way, others in another, and still others in another, depending
on their distinctive situations. The idea with this structure is
"some ... others ... others." It is not at all uncommon.

Steven Lo Vullo
Madison, WI