[B-Greek] Interlinear Plato?

Suttles, Andrew andrew.suttles at analexcleveland.com
Fri Oct 12 14:14:53 EDT 2007

I made a fairly fruitful use of an interlinear text when I first began
my NT greek studies. I would copy the greek text from the interlinear to
notebook paper and read through it a few times.  Next, I would attempt
to translate the text into English using a lexicon.  When I really
couldn't parse a tough greek word, I would use the helps (Strongs
number) in the interlinear to look the word up in a lexicon or Greek
Concordance.  At the bottom of each page/paragraph of greek text in my
notebook, I would write out several relevant glosses of the greek word
in question as well as the parsing (a sort of home-mode readers gnt) and
any grammatical/syntactical information I could mine.  Afterword, I
would look back at the wooden translation in the interlinear and compare
it with my translation to see if I had the "right" sense.  Several times
this prompted me to re-check whether I really understood the tense or
voice of a verb, etc.  I could usually come back later and site read
paragraphs at a time fairly easy and enjoyably w/o having to perform
translations in my head (was I learning or just memorizing - not sure!
...is memorizing neccessarily bad in the early stages - not sure!).

I moved from this method to using a diglot, and from the diglot to a gnt
w/o any English (upon advice gleaned from this forum).

In spite of doing all the *wrong* things - Thayer's Lexicon, interlinear
text, Erasmian pronunciation, translating the text to English, etc.
(:>), I felt as though I was making great progress and I *really*
enjoyed my study.

I sometimes wonder if the wrong things are neccessarily so wrong...oh
well.

Andrew Suttles