[B-Greek] Interlinear Plato?

James Ernest j.d.ernest at bc.edu
Fri Oct 12 07:04:26 EDT 2007

On 10/11/07, Dr. Don Wilkins <drdwilkins at verizon.net> wrote:

> Let me add that by mentioning the interlinear publications I was not
> endorsing the idea, just trying to lend a hand without being
> critical.

     A worthy impulse.
    All the criticisms of interlinears are correct, and they deserve
occasional reiteration for the benefit of newcomers to the list, but to me
the torrent of horrified deprecation unleashed on this list every time they
are mentioned has become funny. I find myself imagining a scene in a spoof
play. (Naive maiden to Victorian nanny: "I have been considering becoming a
prostitute--can you recommend a good street-corner?" Victorian nanny: [Fill
in the weeping and cajoling.])
    I have been trying off and on for several days to imagine a legitimate
(nondisastrous, nonshameful) use for an interlinear, and a couple of times I
think I have begun to come close.
    Don't get the wrong. I do kind of enjoy the weeping and cajoling. And as
I suggested at the start, I essentially agree with all of it.

James Ernest