[B-Greek] Interlinear Plato?

Dr. Don Wilkins drdwilkins at verizon.net
Thu Oct 11 14:13:18 EDT 2007

Let me add that by mentioning the interlinear publications I was not
endorsing the idea, just trying to lend a hand without being
critical. Interlinears are always awkward reading, sometimes
erroneous, and no more neutral than any other literal translation.
Besides, if you know NT Greek and fly by your instruments (good
parsing and word-matching), you'll do much better at classical than
you might think. The meanings of special constructions (e.g.
conditionals) may well get jumbled by an interlinear, and the
interlinears I mentioned were published as far back as the 1800's, so
the language may be unclear. For many classical constructions a good
classical grammar will prove indispensable (I heartily recommend
Smyth), and as I said before, you may find a good text/commentary
e.g. Dodds more helpful than an interlinear. It will help to sort out
the most important Greek statements for which no English translations
are really adequate.

Don Wilkins