[B-Greek] hWS AN construction in the LXX

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 8 22:25:06 EDT 2007

Actually, what you cite is the Rahlfs edition, not Wevers more
critical text. In Wevers text we have KAI ESTAI EAN AKOH EISAKOUSHS
THS FWNHS ktl. Thus it lacks the reference to the crossing of the
Jordan and the giving of the land.
  As for the  hWS AN construction——to me it makes good sense. That is
to say the crossing of the Jordan ktl. is cast as a projection.
Therefore the event is yet to take place. Presumably it will but
hasn't as yet.
One might thus translate Rahlfs' text: "And it shall be, should you
(pl) cross the Jordan into the land  that the Lord your God is giving
you (pl)—if by hearing you (pl) listen to the voice of the Lord your
(pl) God, to keep and to do all the commandments, which I command you
(sg) today, the Lord will also render you (sg) high above all the
nations of the earth and all these blessings will come upon you (sg)
and will find you (sg)—if by hearing you (sg) hear the voice of the
Lord your (sg) God."
A rather verbose sentence, to be sure, but such is the Greek.
Al