[B-Greek] Passages demonstrating quality Greek of 1 Peter?

Calvin Lindstrom pclindstrom at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 19:24:11 EDT 2007

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your response to this question. It was a question that
has also interested me, and your response was helpful.

Dr. Osvaldo Padilla, a professor of NT at Trinity Evangelical
Divinity School, has also made comments on the Greek style in 1 Peter
in a handout he gave to his students for a Greek exegesis class. Some
of the examples that he used are ones that you also mentioned. Two
other passages he pointed out were:

The parallelism with MEN and DE in 2:4 and the use of anaphora in 1:4.

Padilla argues briefly that although the language of 1 Peter is quite
competent, it is not at a classical level. This of course has bearing
on the question of authorship.

Paul J. Achtemeier's commentary on 1 Peter (Hermeneia Series) also
discusses on pages 3-5 the quality of the language used in 1 Peter.

Calvin Lindstrom
Church of Christian Liberty
Arlington Heights, IL
www.christianliberty.com