[B-Greek] Matthew 22:37: DIANOIA vs NOUS

Taylor Swendsen taylor at swendsen.org
Mon Oct 8 01:07:05 EDT 2007

I can't speak for NT usage, but there appears to be a marked difference in
the way some ancient Greek philosophers (Plato, Aristotle) used these two
words (NOUS to refer to the mind as a whole, gaining understanding through
direct or intuitive apprehension, and DIANOSIS to refer to the portion of
the mind responsible for analytic reasoning, which could not in and of
itself produce true knowledge).

Whether or not any of these ideas were still associated with the words at
the time of the NT writing is beyond my knowledge.

I do know that Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Christian Mysticism (among
many other groups) tend to emphasize the importance of Spiritual Knowledge
(obtained through direct revelation) over that which can be ascertained by
man's rational mind (i.e. through general revelation).  Both of these groups
use the dichotomy between the NOUS and DIANOSIS as part of their theology.
You may find searching through their literature produces more information
that what you might obtain in traditional evangelical lexicons and
theological dictionaries.

I hope this meager tidbit of information helps in some way.

Taylor Swendsen

DIANOESIS: Reasoning; sequential; used in Euclidean geometry