[B-Greek] Matthew 22:37: DIANOIA vs NOUS

Anthony anthony.rimell at orcon.net.nz
Sun Oct 7 20:45:53 EDT 2007

Hello all

In Matthew, when Jesus is referring to the great commandment, the Greek
record refers to DIANOIA.

Matthew 22:37 HO DE EPHEI AUTW, AGAPEISEIS KURION TON THEON SOU ...  EN
HOLEI TEI DIANOIA SOU

In his rush to biblical 'precision' in translation, I have been challenged
by a friend to identify why DIANOIA was chosen here, and not NOUS.  I have
responded in two ways:

1    I do not find guessing games into the possible thinking of the author
overly productive, and

2   The two words seem to me to convey the same concept - the mind.

His assertion is that DIANOIA refers to the centre of the willpower, not
the mind in general.

I have been looking through several lexicons and Greek concordances, and
struggle to find any usage that might actually validate his impression.
However, always open to correction, I am wondering if any readers here can
point me to a work that shows there is a genuine difference between
DIANOIA and NOUS.

Regards

Anthony Rimell, New Zealand