[B-Greek] Brekekekex Hapax Hapax

Peter Bekins pbekins at fuse.net
Fri Oct 5 12:18:22 EDT 2007

Carl,

Completely off the topic of B-Greek, but relevant to your aside so I
thought worth mentioning, Ancient Sumerian actually had a plural
morpheme for your example. The normal plural marker is MESH, but
there is another, HI.A, which is used for an individuated plural, ie
a plural group of unique referents like "hapax(c)es". It carries over
into Akkadian, but doesn't always retain the individuated sense. I
always wondered why they kept it around in the language, and I'm not
sure if any other language has anything similar.

Peter Bekins