[B-Greek] compound forms

Jerry Reimer Jerry at lsm.org
Fri Oct 5 12:03:48 EDT 2007

Dear B-Greek,

If it is true that Koine Greek has a preference for compound forms, then is a rule of thumb that could be generally applied so as to know when and when not to turn up the heat in translation by trying to render the components of the compounds rather than to deal with them as if they were simple forms? My real reason for asking this is that maybe a given author was not really trying to say something special in certain places by using a compound and that the compound actually equals the simple form (PROSKARTEREW = KARTEREW?). I hope I got the transliteration right.

I am not talking here about personal, authorial preference (seems Luke had a special taste for compounds which in the parallel portions of the other synoptists are simple forms) but about Koine in general. Is it even possible to talk in such a general way and we are again left without a rule of thumb and context is again king? Maybe the whole presuppostion (that Koine prefers compounds) should be questioned. Your views, please.

Jerry Reimer