[B-Greek] Mt 28:19 AUTOUS EIS TO ONOMA

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Oct 5 09:26:13 EDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:59 PM, Don Dwight wrote:

> Does  Mt 28:19 contain the double accusative construction?
>
> Mt 28:16 οἱ δὲ ἕνδεκα μαθηταὶ
> ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς τὴν Γαλιλαίαν
> εἰς τὸ ὄρος
> οὗ ἐτάξατο αὐτοῖς ὁ Ἰησοῦς 17
> καὶ ἰδόντες αὐτὸν προσεκύνησαν
> οἱ δὲ
> ἐδίστασαν 18  καὶ προσελθὼν ὁ
> Ἰησοῦς ἐλάλησεν αὐτοῖς λέγων
> ἐδόθη μοι
> πᾶσα ἐξουσία ἐν οὐρανῷ καὶ ἐπὶ
> τῆς γῆς 19  πορευθέντες οὖν
> μαθητεύσατε
> πάντα τὰ ἔθνη βαπτίζοντες αὐτοὺς
> εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ πατρὸς καὶ τοῦ
> υἱοῦ
> καὶ τοῦ ἁγίου πνεύματος 20
> διδάσκοντες αὐτοὺς τηρεῖν πάντα
> ὅσα
> ἐνετειλάμην ὑμῖν καὶ ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ
> μεθ' ὑμῶν εἰμι πάσας τὰς ἡμέρας
> ἕως τῆς
> συντελείας τοῦ αἰῶνος
>
> Mt 28:16 hOI DE hENDEKA MAQHTAI EPOREUQHSAN EIS THN GALILAIAN EIS TO
> OROS hOU ETAXATO AUTOIS hO IHSOUS 17  KAI IDONTES AUTON
> PROSEKUNHSAN hOI
> DE EDISTASAN 18  KAI PROSELQWN hO IHSOUS ELALHSEN AUTOIS LEGWN
> EDOQH MOI
> PASA EXOUSIA EN OURANWi KAI EPI THS GHS 19  POREUQENTES OUN
> MAQHTEUSATE
> PANTA TA EQNH BAPTIZONTES AUTOUS EIS TO ONOMA TOU PATROS KAI TOU hUIOU
> KAI TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS 20  DIDASKONTES AUTOUS THREIN PANTA hOSA
> ENETEILAMHN hUMIN KAI IDOU EGW MEQ hUMWN EIMI PASAS TAS hHMERAS
> hEWS THS
> SUNTELEIAS TOU AIWNOS
>
> The double accusative in v. 16  ... EIS THN GALILAIAN EIS TO OROS
> OU ...
> signals the double accusative in v. 19 ... [EIS TO] AUTOUS EIS TO
> ONOMA
> TOU ...
> and the phrasing of v. 19 lends itself to the double accusative
> construction:
> POREUQENTES OUN
> MAQHTEUSATE
> PANTA TA EQNH BAPTIZONTES
> AUTOUS EIS TO ONOMA TOU ...
> making the sense of this part of v. 19 to be
> ... MAQHTEUSATE
> BAPTIZONTES PANTA TA EQNH
> [EIS TO] AUTOUS EIS TO ONOMA TOU ...
> since MAQHTEUSATE ("be who you are do what you do" aorist) can be
> intransitive and BAPTIZONTES implies TINA EIS (TO) ONOMA TINOS
> and AUTOUS are already EIS TO ONOMA TOU ...
> as in v. 20 ...  (EGW (MEQ hUMWN) EIMI) ...
> and EIS in the first EIS TO is revealed by EIS in AUTOUS EIS TO ONOMA
> TOU ...
> and TO in the first EIS TO mingles (crasis) with AUTOUS EIS TO
> ONOMA TOU ...

I think there's a misuse of terminology here. "Double accusative" as
commonly used refers to one or another of two constructions in which
accusative case forms function as complements of the verb:
(1) a verb takes one direct object  of the person and a second object
of the thing:
e.g. John 14:26  ἐκεῖνος ὑμᾶς διδάξει
πάντα EKEINOS hUMAS DIDAXEI PANTA "He will teach you
everything." Here hUMAS indicates the persons who will be taught,
while PANTA indicates the content of the teaching.
(2) a verb takes a direct object and a predicate accusative of a
substantive or adjective that characterizes the direct object:
e.g. Matt 22:43  Δαυὶδ ἐν πνεύματι καλεῖ
αὐτὸν κύριον DAUID EN PNEUMATI KALEI AUTON KURION "David
by inspiration calls him "Lord." Here AUTON is the direct object and
KURION is the predicate word characterizing AUTON.

The constructions you refer to above confound accusative objects of
verbs with substantives that are objects of prepositions within
prepositional phrases. EIS THN GALILAIAN and EIS TO OROS are both
prepositional phrases with substantives functioning as objects of the
preposition. Those accusative-case forms cannot be construed apart
from the prepositions that govern them.