[B-Greek] Greek textbook question re Duff

Mark Goodacre goodacre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 11:12:44 EDT 2007

The accents issue is controversial, and it was controversial likewise
in Wenham.  It was Wenham's Elements that took this big step, in his
revision of Nunn.  Duff has retained Wenham's decision here and there
are some good reasons for it, e.g. it encourages the proper use of
breathings from early on; it helps students to spot iota subscripts;
and it enables them to get used to the difference between TI/S and
TIS, etc.  I think it's important to remember that Duff is providing
an introductory text book and not a grammar.  After year one (we
covered Wenham in half that time in Oxford), one of the major tasks is
to bring the continuing student up to speed with accents.  One can
focus on them big time in years 2 and 3.  Teaching a language is often
about making decisions about *when* one teaches specific elements.  In
my experience, the holding off on most accents in year 1 works well.
I understand, though, why some still balk at that.  Cheers, Mark