[B-Greek] SOFIA SIRAX 19:4 - Hearts and Minds

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 29 23:05:21 EDT 2007

On Jul 29, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> 19:2 Wine and women make the mind giddy,
> and the companion of prostitutes becomes reckless.
> 19:4 He who lightly trusts [in them] has no sense,
> and he who strays [after them] sins against his own life.
>
> Skehan (AB p.62) claims to base his readings from the ms groups GI
> and GII on Zeigler:1965. On the alternate reading in 19:4b he states:
> "Two MSS of GII substitute 'the one who is incontinent' for v 4's 'he
> who strays', and it is this limited clue that suggests relating v 4
> to the context of vv 1-3 rather than to vv 5-12 with which it seems
> to have no connection. '(strays) after them (the prostitutes of 2b)
> interprets 4b of GI in that sense ...  (AB p.289).

SIR. 19:4 hO TACU EMPISTEUWN KOUFOS KARDIAi KAI hO hAMARTANWN EIS
YUCHN AUTOU PLHMMELHSEI

With some significant help from Prof. Pietersma I think I have found
the greek text behind the Skehan's "the one who is incontinent"
reading in 19:4b. Zeigler:1965 p.211 has a reading in 19:4b
hAMARTANWN] OUK EGKRATHS, found in the GII mss group L -(minus?)248.
Note that Skehan does NOT use this reading to reconstruct his text of
19:4. He uses this reading as a "clue" on how to group the sayings
where he follows the order of the Peshitta.

At this point we are far from the original question but having raised
the textual issue it seemed useful to provide the information that
was lacking in the AB notes.

Elizabeth Kline