[B-Greek] Attributive and Predicate Adjectives

Delbert Flora delbert.flora at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:00:45 EDT 2007

Henry Carmichael wrote:

>When the adjective does have the article, as you have in the second
>example, you see a nuance of difference.  Is the difference one that
>emphasizes the truthfulness of the saying, or is it to emphasize this
>particular true saying as compared to other true sayings - first among
>equals, as it were?

What I was hoping to see as at least one answer to this question was
what would be lost if we made no distinction between the attributive
and predicate? The only consequence I see is it would result in perhaps
a poor English translation, but the Greek would not be compromised. Is
there any difference at all between "the red ball" and "the ball is red"
semantically? I am a little surprised at how much attention this adjective
and noun relation get.

Delbert Flora