[B-Greek] Attributive and Predicate Adjectives

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Jul 28 22:39:46 EDT 2007

On Jul 28, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> In Wallace's book, he summarizes the various positions
> (three Attributives and two Predicates). All seem to
> denote a slight emphasis on the Adjective, with the
> exception of the Second Predicate, where the emphasis
> is only "slightly heavier on the noun." (p. 308)
>
> Could someone please explain to me what they feel is
> the major difference between Attributive and Predicate
> Adjectives, and/or what the major difference is
> between the First and Second Attributive?
>
> Lastly, could someone provide me with an example or
> two where the use of an 'Attributive and not the
> Predicate', or a 'Predicate and not the Attributive'
> seems important (better still, critical) to an
> author's point.

I'll limit myself to this last, which is really very simple:

In ἀληθὴς ὁ λόγος (ALHQHS hO LOGOS) the adjective is
predicative: "The saying is true."

In ὁ ἀληθὴς λόγος (hO ALHQHS LOGOS) or ὁ λόγος
ὁ ἀληθής (hO LOGOS hO ALHQHS) the adjective is attributive:
"The true saying." I'd say there's a nuance of difference between
these two formulations, although semantically they are equivalent:
the first is "the true saying," the second is "the saying, i.e. the
true one."

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/