[B-Greek] THRHSW EK in John 17:15; Rev 3:10 and extra biblical Greek literature

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jul 26 13:12:55 EDT 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 12:39 PM, CEP7 at aol.com wrote:

> Does THRHSW EK always have the force of keeping one outside a
> sphere or of
> preventing one from entering a sphere. John 17:15 and Rev 3:10, the
> only
> biblical references, are problematic texts because they are not
> clear concerning
> whether one is within the sphere or not. I was wondering whether
> the extrabiblical
> texts of the combination of these two terms (THREW + EK) would shed
> light on
> how to understand the biblical texts? The English idiom "Keep out"
> always
> refers to a position outside the sphere. Does the Greek idiom mean
> the same.

I think that the EK + genitive is simply what an earlier ablatival
genitive without any preposition would mean with a verb requiring a
complement with an ablatival complement.

LSJ gives, under THREW: τηρεῖν ἀπὸ τοῦ πυρός
[THREIN APO TOU PUROS] protect them from the fire, i.e. cook them
slowly, Bilabel Ὀψαρτ.P. 10.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/