[B-Greek] Significance of Pluperfects In John 6:17

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Wed Jul 25 09:20:51 EDT 2007

Doug:

I'll give you what Daniel Wallace in his book Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (pages 584-585) says about this verse:
They began crossing the sea to Capernaum. Now it was already dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them.
The first pluperfect in this text is intensive (as is evident by the ἤδη); the second one is extensive (ἐληλύθει).

Intensive Pluperfect
    This use of the pluperfect places the emphasis on the results that existed in past time. Its force can usually be brought out by translating it as a simple past tense. This is different from an aorist, however, in that the aorist is not used to indicate a resultant state from the event. It is different from an imperfect in that the imperfect describes the event itself as progressive, while the pluperfect only describes the state resulting from the event as continuing. This usage is relatively common.

Extensive Pluperfect
    The pluperfect may be used to emphasize the completion of an action in past time, without focusing as much on the existing results. It is usually best translated as a past perfect (had + perfect passive participle). (Some examples might better belong to the intensive category.) This usage is relatively common, especially in the Fourth Gospel.

I hope this helps

Kevin

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
Cierpke at prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm