[B-Greek] Eph.2:8 the faith

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 06:22:30 EDT 2007

Τῇ γὰρ χάριτί ἐστε σεσῳσμένοι διὰ πίστεως· καὶ τοῦτο οὐκ ἐξ ὑμῶν, θεοῦ τὸ δῶρον·

THi GAR XARITI ESTE SESWiSMENOI DIA PISTEWS; KAI TOUTO OUK EC hUMWN, QEOU TO DWRON

The problem here is that you are using an old commentary which is based on a corrupt text which was used for the AV back in 1611.  As you can see above, the better reading has DIA PISTEWS rather than DIA THS PISTEWS.  PISTEWS is not substantivized (I think that is what you meant by "giving it a subjective" or else I don't understand at all).  DIA PISTEWS simply indicates the instrument through which something occurs (ἐστε σεσῳσμένοι [ESTE SESWiMENOI]).

george
gfsomsel

defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus