[B-Greek] non-accusative direct objects

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Mon Jul 23 20:54:44 EDT 2007

Dear Friends --

It would be easier, I think, to say that almost all unprefixed active-voice verbs usually expect an aitiatic object.

Prefixed and middle-voice verbs *might* expect an aitiatic object, but frequently expect a gennetic or dotic object.

This is often signaled by the prefix itself or -- almost intuitively -- by the verb's intrinsic sense of action.

In my opinion, it's less helpful to try to memorize lists of verbs than it is to begin to 'feel' their force in application.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver

Monk James
Orthodox Church in America

----- Original Message -----From: Delbert Flora Date: Monday, July 23, 2007 8:23 pmSubject: [B-Greek] non-accusative direct objectsTo: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org> I don't know percentages, but I presume that "most" verbs take > their direct > objects in the accusative case. APOKRINOMAI however takes its > direct object > in the dative. Is there anything inherent in verbs that would > account for > them taking their direct objects outside the "normal direct > object > indicator" accusative? And, is it correct to say that > APOKRINOMAI (and I'm > just using this verb for illustrative purpose only) is an > exception to the > rule that verbs take their direct objects in the accusative?> > Kindly,> Delbert Flora> > _________________________________________________________________> Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!  > http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1> >