[B-Greek] L&N definition of APERCOMAI

Jeffrey T. Requadt jeffreyrequadt_list at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:24:31 EDT 2007

Also, I believe that L & N was targeted for Bible translators who needed a
good resource to understand how the semantic domains of a certain word or
phrase would best be translated into the semantic domains of the target
language. Its intent was not to provide any specific definitions as would a
dictionary (like BDAG). The preface says, "This Greek New Testament lexicon
based on semantic domains has been designed primarily for translators of the
New Testament in various languages, but biblical scholars, pastors, and
theological students will no doubt also find this lexicon of particular
value, since it focuses on the related meanings of different words. This
focus is clearly a major concern of all theological studies. In addition, a
number of linguists and lexicographers are likely to be interested in view
of the distinctive approach and methodology employed in this lexicon."
Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New
Testament  : Based on Semantic Domains, electronic ed. of the 2nd edition.
(New York: United Bible societies, 1996, c1989).