[B-Greek] L&N definition of APERCOMAI

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 23 11:16:51 EDT 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Mitch Larramore wrote:

> Eric Weiss <papaweiss1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> L&N doesn't cite sources. It just lists
>> definitions/meanings, and gives a NT verse as an
>> example
>> where the word has that meaning.
>

> Does this mean that L&N is not giving Hellenistic
> meanings, but limits the definitions to how words are
> used in the GNT only?
>
> To say that something "goes out of existence" sounds
> like a metaphysical statement far exceeding the idea
> of "to pass away." People pass away but they certainly
> don't cease to exist.

I don't mean to offer a theological comment here -- and that wouldn't
be appropriate in this forum in any case -- but simply a
"metalinguistic" comment: I've always assumed that "pass away" is a
euphemism for "die." The Roman Empire has certainly "passed away" or
"gone out of existence." We can still talk about it, but we envision
it as recollected item of historical memory rather than something
that "exists" -- other than in terms of what someone (Whitehead?)
called "the immortality of past objective fact." Vergil said of Troy,
"fuit Ilium," i.e. "Ilium has been, is no more." The perfect tense
implies that the existence of Troy is a past fact. Plato described
the world of our phenomenal experience in terms of the phrase,
γένηεσις καὶ φθορά (GENESIS KAI FQORA). "coming-to-be
and perishing." "Perish" is a word that can have many dimensions, but
fundamental is surely 'passing out of existence.' Is it not enough to
say that one sense of APERCOMAI is "perish"?
What does Margaret Mitchell mean when she writes that Tara is "gone
with the wind" or simply "gone"?

We've gone through what L&N offers for APERCOMAI. For what it's
worth, here's BDAG:

BDAG has this as sense #2:

2. to discontinue as a condition or state, of diseases, etc. (Cebes
14, 3 οὐ μὴ ἀπέλθῃ ἀπ᾿ αὐτῶν ἡ
κακία OU MH APELQHi AP' AUTWN hH KAKIA; Ex 8:25)
ἀπῆλθεν ἀπ᾿ αὐτοῦ ἡ λέπρα APHLQEN AP'
AUTOU hH LEPRA the leprosy left him Mk 1:42; Lk 5:13; ἡ
ὀπώρα ἀ. ἀπὸ σοῦ hH APWRA APHLQEN APO SOU your fruit
is gone Rv 18:14.—Gener. pass away (SSol 2:11) Rv 9:12; 11:14; 21:1,
4.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/