[B-Greek] L&N definition of APERCOMAI

Eric Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 22 23:16:26 EDT 2007

> Rev 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death will not exist any more—or mourning, or
crying, or pain, for the former things have ceased to
exist.8

The NET Bible has the following note that is of
interest to me.

8tn For the translation of APERCOMAI;  L&N 13.93 has
"to go out of existence—'to cease to exist, to pass
away, to cease.'"

I don't have/own L&N and would be very interested in
knowing what SOURCE(S) they cite to support this
definition. I just wanted to check the sources myself.
> (I am assuming I'll be able to find them on Perseus.)

> Eddie Mishoe
> Pastor

L&N doesn't cite sources. It just lists
definitions/meanings, and gives a NT verse as an example
where the word has that meaning.

I don't know how the following cut-and-paste from Logos
will appear:

13.93  παράγωc; παρέρχομαιd; ἀπέρχομαιb; ἐξέρχομαιb: to go out of
existence—‘to cease to exist, to pass away, to cease.’

παράγωc: ὁ κόσμος παράγεται ‘the world passes away’ 1 Jn 2.17.

  παρέρχομαιd: ὁ οὐρανὸς καὶ ἡ γῆ παρελεύσεται, οἱ δὲ λόγοι μοÏ
 οὐ μὴ παρέλθωσιν
‘heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away’ Mt 24.35.
ἀπέρχομαιb: ἡ οὐαὶ ἡ μία ἀπῆλθεν ‘the first horror ceased’ Re 9.12; εὐθὺς ἀπῆλθεν
ἀπ̓ αὐτοῦ ἡ λέπρα ‘at once the leprosy left him’ Mk 1.42.
ἐξέρχομαιb: ἰδόντες δὲ οἱ κύριοι αὐτῆς á½
τι ἐξῆλθεν ἡ ἐλπὶς τῆς ἐργασίας αὐτῶν ‘when
her owners realized that their chance of making money no longer existed’ or ‘ …
was gone’ Ac 16.19.
  Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996, c1989). Greek-English lexicon of the New
Testament  : Based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition.)
(1:158). New York: United Bible societies.

  Eric S. Weiss