[B-Greek] Emil Schurer and his Greek Inscriptions

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 00:16:23 EDT 2007

After locating the use of this term in Schürer, I note that he has a note on the word

The παγκράτιον is the “joint contest,” which comprises both wrestling (πάλη) and boxing (πυγμή). Hence it belongs to the order of gymnastic games.

Schürer, E. (1890). A history of the Jewish people in the time of Jesus Christ, second division, Vol. I.25. Edinburgh: T&T Clark (Since it is divided into two parts with vols 1 & 2 in part 1, vol 1 of the second division is vol 3 in the set).

george
gfsomsel

defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus