[B-Greek] Preposition governing two nouns

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 13:53:16 EDT 2007

ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς· ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω σοι, ἐὰν μή τις γεννηθῇ ἐξ ὕδατος καὶ πνεύματος, οὐ δύναται εἰσελθεῖν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ.

APEKRIQH IHSOUS, "AMHN AMHN LEGW SOI, EAN MH TIS GENNHQHi EC hUDATOS KAI PNEUMATOS, OU DUNATAI EISELQEIN EIS THN BASILEIAN TOU QEOU

As you yourself note there is not an article here but rather a preposition.  It is therefore difficult to understand why this would have any relation whatsoever to Granville Sharp's Rule.  Regarding the absence of the article here I might note that Robertson takes πνεύματος [PNEUMATOS] as referencing the "ONLY OBJECT OF KIND", i.e. the Holy Spirit.

(k) Only Object of Kind. These partake of the nature of proper names and often occur without the article.… So also πνεῦμα and πνεῦμα ἅγιον may occur with and without the article. Garvie quotes Bartlet on Acts as saying that when πνεῦμα ἕγιον is anarthrous it describes the human condition, not the divine agency. But it may be questioned if this is not a purely artificial rule, as there are evident exceptions to it. The use of πνεῦμα with a genitive like πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ (Ro. 8:9) and with a preposition, ἐκ πνεύματος (Jo. 3:5), accounts for some examples.

Robertson, A. (1919; 2006). A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research (795). Logos.

george
gfsomsel

defend the truth till death.

- Jan Hus