[B-Greek] Preposition governing two nouns

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jul 18 13:52:12 EDT 2007

On Jul 18, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Aaron Lawton wrote:

> I was recently presented with an argument concerning John 3:5 -
> GENNHQH EX
> hUDATOS KAI PNEUMATOS. This text asserted that since the article (I
> assume
> referring to the preposition EX) governed two nouns joined by KAI
> then the
> nouns point to the same referent. I could not remember anything in
> grammar
> nor find anything in my Greek grammars which would support this
> assertion.
> Is this a misapplication of the Granville-Sharp Rule? Am I missing
> something?

Problem here is that there isn't any article but simply a preposition
that governs the (ablatival) genitive followed by two genitive nouns
linked by a KAI.. There's no rule in play here whatsoever other than
the usage-fact that EX takes a genitive object.

> Matt. 23:25 seems to offer a similar construction (EX hARPAGHS KAI
> AKRASIAS)
> while not appearing to agree with the rule. If applied to John
> 4:23, 24 (EN
> PNEUMATI KAI ALHQEIA), a Gnostic reading could result. Luke 21:25
> (EN hHLIW
> KAI SELHNH KAI ASTROIS) only works if the nouns are viewed as
> synecdoche.
> Luke 2:4 (EX OIKOU KAI PATRIAS) could follow the rule.

All of these phrases are simply prepositional phrases consisting of
the preposition and two or more objects in the case ordinarily taken
by the preposition in question.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/