[B-Greek] He vs. It

Jonathan Robie jwrobie at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 18 12:01:42 EDT 2007

>> Workbook Text:
>> EGO POIW TO ERGOU TOU AGGELOU AUTOS DE EXEI THN DOXAN TOU QEOU.
>>
>> Workbook Suggested Translation:
>> I do the work of the angel, and *he* [editing mine] has the
>> glory of God.

Is this Machen?

Bigger Greeks than I may want to comment on whether the Greek feels odd.
In this rather odd sentence, and whether my response is correct.

I can't see anything other than context and meaning to tell me for sure
whether AUTOS refers to the works or to the angel, but I don't know what
it would mean for the work of the angel to have the glory of God. That
said, I'm not sure what the point of the sentence is anyway, the DE
implies a contrast between the angel and me, perhaps that the angel is
the one who has the Glory of God, and I just do his grunt work, without
making any claim to that glory. It would be an odd sentence to find in
the New Testament, where this kind of relationship between angels and
people doesn't seem to occur.

Jonathan