[B-Greek] KOPANIZON

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Mon Jul 16 21:23:10 EDT 2007

Dear Friends --

I wonder:  Is it really so simple that the canonical Greek 70 is just Theodotion?

Particularly as I work in the psalms, I find more discontinuities between the Hebrew and the canonical Greek 70 than blaming it all on Theodotion might explain.

Certainly there are texual confluences, but that just doesn't seem right to me.  Perhaps Dr Pietersma could clarify?

BTW:  When I (at least) wrote 'canonical' here, I meant  -- with no disrespect to scholarship and the continued production of critical editions -- the text which is normative for the Church, which is usually quoted in the New Testament, the Fathers and the Liturgy.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver

Monk James
Orthodox Church in America