[B-Greek] 2 Tim 3:10-11

Steve Runge srunge at logos.com
Mon Jul 16 19:45:32 EDT 2007

Dear List,

I am somewhat unsure of whether my understanding of the larger complex of 2 Tim 3:10-11 is valid or not.  I do not find support for it in the translations, which is always a red flag.  Here is the text:

10 Σὺ δὲ παρηκολούθησάς μου τῇ διδασκαλίᾳ, τῇ ἀγωγῇ, τῇ προθέσει, τῇ πίστει, τῇ μακροθυμίᾳ, τῇ ἀγάπῃ, τῇ ὑπομονῇ,
11a τοῖς διωγμοῖς, τοῖς παθήμασιν,
11b οἷά μοι ἐγένετο ἐν Ἀντιοχείᾳ, ἐν Ἰκονίῳ, ἐν Λύστροις,
11c οἵους διωγμοὺς ὑπήνεγκα
11d καὶ ἐκ πάντων με ἐρρύσατο ὁ κύριος.

Verse 10 is a long list of all that things that Timothy is aware of regarding Paul's work.  Verse 11 narrows the range of the list by specifying those things that happened is a specific set of geographic locations.  The locations are specified in the relative clause of v. 11b, which uses hOIOS.  Porter (1992:244) identifies this pronoun as a correlative relative.  The second relative clause (v. 11c) uses the same relative pronoun. I would construe 11c as a summary of what he has been talking about thus far, framing it in the form of a topic on which the following clause (11d) will comment.  I have placed what I take to be the topical frame in between the asterisks.

11c *οἵους διωγμοὺς ὑπήνεγκα* καὶ ἐκ πάντων με ἐρρύσατο ὁ κύριος.

This raises the question of how to understand the KAI, as ascensive or conjunctive.  I would take it as ascensive, with KAI EK PANTWN being fronted for emphasis within 11d.  The English translation of what I am understanding in Greek would be something like:

11c What sort of persecutions I have suffered, EVEN OUT OF ALL (OF THEM) the Lord has rescued me.

I am less concerned about the rendering of specific lexemes at this point than with my understanding of the larger complex.  It seems as though he is summarizing in the relative clause of 11c in order to make a single point regarding vv. 10-11.  While he may have been through a lot, the Lord has seen him through it all, delivering him.  The fact that the verbs in vv. 11c and 11d could corroborate my reading, but I am suspicious in that none of the translations I consulted take it this way.  The lack of a conjunction of some kind between 11b and 11c would also argue against my proposal.

This is not a hill I am trying to die on, just a question about whether something more complex might be going on.  Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Runge, DLitt (Biblical Languages)
Scholar-in-Residence
Logos Research Systems, Inc.
http://www.logos.com/academic/bio/runge