[B-Greek] How to Self-Study Attic Greek?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 16 18:00:43 EDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Eric Weiss wrote:

>> As someone who has tutored students using Crosby & Schaeffer, and
>> taught from Chase
>> & Phillips, I can only echo Carl's recommendations: The JACT
>> series is excellent. Yes, it
>> has its shortcomings, but it is far superior to any other
>> Classical Greek introductory
>> grammar available right now.
>
>   How do you rate Introduction to Attic Greek by Donald J.
> Mastronarde (there is an answer
>   key available), or how would you compare it with JACT?

Mastronarde is excellent but falls into the category of more
traditional texts. Also very worth of mention among the traditional-
type textbooks for Classical Attic is Hansen and Quinn (Greek: An
Intensive Course by Hardy Hansen and Gerald M. Quinn {Paperback - Sep
1, 1992}). By "traditional" I mean that they involve lessons that
introduce new grammar and vocabulary and practice exercises that are
essentially sentences for the first several lessons; Reading Greek
and Athenaze are built around a continuing narrative and there's a
different underlying pedagogical philosophy. As for Crosby & Shaeffer
and Chase & Phillips, I've taught with both of them; they're good of
their kind, but Crosby & Shaeffer is geared toward reading Xenophon's
Anabasis (as the old Latin textbooks were geared toward reading
Caesar's Gallic Wars), and in my opinion both these books are short
on serious grammatical explanation.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/