[B-Greek] KOPANIZON

frjsilver at optonline.net frjsilver at optonline.net
Mon Jul 16 10:17:03 EDT 2007

Dear Friends --

My first instinct is to render this as 'grind, chew, masticate', but I notice that the canonical Greek 70 replaces KOPANIZON with LEPTUNON, pretty clearly 'dissolve, digest'.

The monster is apparently not a dainty eater, but the 70's image feels to me fairly disgusting here:   the other beasts eat the EPILOIPA which fall to the monster's feet, but in apposition to LEPTUNON this could well be a reference to excrement rather than just the slop and crumbs falling from its mouth.

Peace and blessings to all.

Father James Silver

Monk James
Orthodox Church in America