[B-Greek] STEGEI in 1Cor 13.7

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jul 13 16:01:28 EDT 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Daniel Hanshew wrote:

> Greetings All,
>   My question is regarding the definition of STEGEI in 1Cor 13.7.
> The definition given in the lexicons that I have is "cover." But as
> D. Garland points out Paul uses this word to mean "endure" or "put
> up with." Godet suggests it means "to excuse." Any help would be
> appreciated.

BDAG offers the following basic sense of "cover": "(Aeschyl. et al.;
ins, pap; freq. in the sense of covering or enclosing in such a way
as to keep someth. undesirable from coming in, as water into a ship)"
-- and then two common usages: "1. to keep confidential, cover, pass
over in silence; 2. to bear up against difficulties, bear, stand,
endure"; it is the second sense that is applicable to 1 Cor 13:7.

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/