[B-Greek] Acts 8:22 APHETHESETAI

Martin Smith smithm92 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 13:00:36 EDT 2007

Hello, I'd appreciate your help in understanding the use of
APHIEMI in this verse. The verb is cast as a 3rd person future
passive indicative singular and I'm having trouble understanding
the passive choice in the context. Peter is asking Simon to beg
the Lord for forgiveness. Yet, the passive implies that it might
be literally translated as '...and beg of the Lord if therefore
he will be forgiven you the thought of your heart.' This implies
that the Lord would be the recipient of forgiveness (???).
Thanks in advance for your help.
Martin