[B-Greek] Present Tense

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Jul 9 06:52:47 EDT 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Seth Moran wrote:

> Hi B-Greek Listers!
>
> I hope you're all having a blessed day today. Please read on!
>
> DIDASKEIN DE GUNAIKI OUK EPITREPW OUDE AUQENTEIN ANDROS ALL EINAI
> EN HSUXIA
> (1 Tim. 2:12).
>
> The Koine words that are in question (in view of the greater
> context of the
> passage) are DIDASKEIN and AUQENTEIN. Some expositors claim that
> since these
> verbs are in the "present, active, infinitive," it should be
> deduced that
> Paul is speaking about continual regularity in regard to teaching and
> leading; as opposed to individual, finite instances of teaching or
> exercising authority. Thus, it should be deduced that Paul was
> referring to
> the question of who would hold positional authority to instruct and
> lead (
> i.e., the congregational pastor), and that he was not referring to
> isolated
> instances where a woman could theoretically find herself teaching or
> exercising authority over a man, perhaps as a lay-leader of sorts.
>
> Contextually and linguistically speaking, is this conclusion valid?

This vexed passage has been discussed almost ad infinitum (ad
nauseam?) in this forum (a BG Google search for AUQENTEIN -- http://
tinyurl.com/34o2ru
--, which tends to be cited as such in BG-transliteration, would
bring to light several threads from the past decades. You will find
much heat and some light among these discussions, and you should
expect the same in any new discussion of it in response to your
present inquiry. I do hope that respondents will keep the discussion
focused within the boundaries of what THIS Greek text as a Greek text
may possibly mean and not get into doctrinal issues.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List