[B-Greek] Speaking clearly: grammatical aspect, lexical aspect

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Jul 6 08:48:33 EDT 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Eric Weiss wrote:

>> Matthew S. Demoss, _Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament
>> Greek," offers this for "Aktionsart": "The feature of the Greek
>> language whereby the quasi-objective quality of the verbal action is
>> indicated (duration, repetition, momentary occurrence, etc.), both
>> morphologically by tense forms and lexico-syntactically according to
>> contextual features. Some older grammars used the terms synonymously
>> with aspect."
>
>   I have that dictionary at home. For comparison/contrast, how does
> he define "aspect"?
>
>   The above is "all Greek to me," though, and I'm not sure how best
> to simplify and
>   explain it to my class when it comes time to discuss verbs and
> aspect. That's one
>   thing I found from my brief perusal of this Pocket Dictionary -
> i.e., sometimes the
>   definitions presume a level of language understanding that a
> newbie to NT Greek
>   might not have.

Demoss re: "Aspect":

"The feature of the Greek language inherent to the tense-system thata
denotes the speaker/writer's subjective viewpoint or portrayal of the
verbal action, whether progressive ("internal," "imperfective"),
summary ("external," "perfective") or perfect/stative."

cwconrad2 at mac.com
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/