[B-Greek] Speaking clearly: grammatical aspect, lexical aspect

Jonathan Robie jwrobie at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 6 06:30:53 EDT 2007

I'm trying to find clear vocabulary for aspect and Aktionsart. Here are my tentative conclusions:

1. Aspect, by itself, is a vague term used inconsistently by different authors, conflating lexical aspect and grammatical aspect, and sometimes other things.

2. Aktionsart, by itself, is a vague term used inconsistently by different authors, conflating lexical aspect and grammatical aspect, and sometimes other things. Robertson in particular uses this term very broadly (as Palmer observes here: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/test-archives/html4/1997-05/18811.html)

3. Lexical Aspect has a single, clear meaning.

4. Grammatical Aspect has a single clear meaning.

True?

If so, we should all take the Aspect Pledge:

"I will not use the term Aktionsart or the term Aspect by itself, I will refer only to Lexical Aspect, Grammatical Aspect, or other terms that are well defined across authors."

Jonathan